Skip to main content

Passions and Prejudices

It happened all of a sudden, if my memory doesn’t betray, in the mid of the year 1992, and honestly the incident, which I am to pen down, had far reaching consequences, and led me being human, changing my views and feelings towards life.

As a struggling young man, desperately in search of a high paid stable job, I used to go miles, wherever there seems a small ray of light: opportunity. This deliberate act landed me in Shillong, the capital city of Meghalaya (India), also known as “Scotland of India”, to attend the final selection as Manager (Customer Relation) in “Polo Towers”, the reputed star category hotel in the heart of this picturesque hill station. What was the outcome is not the topic here, so let’s jump cut this episode.
Police Bazaar, in Shillong, is a heaven for any and every idler worth his salt and as usual, it was my favourite place to hang out too. I was quite distracted by the variety of this place in contrast to memories of my own city and I often used to roam through the up and down hilly roads during my training break. The unique part of this place is the ambiance and gesture of the crowd, be the local or the tourist. However, despite hunger and lack of pennies, one evening I was looking for a cheap place to cope up. One of the many XYZ restaurants displayed a board offering Tawa roti and mashed potatoes for 10 bucks, and I walked in. The waitress took my order and, when I was served, I attacked the dish without a thought. Only then did I realised the waitress has given me two rotis, which meant that I was liable to pay 20 bucks. All I had was 10 bucks ! I kept seated well over half an hour, wondering how to meet up the bill. I couldn’t imagine myself washing dishes, so reluctantly approached the counter where an elderly Khasi (local tribe) lady was seated. In halting sentences, I described my predicament to her, and nervously enquired if it would be all right for me to call later and pay the balance of 10 bucks. Trust me, a cold chill ran down my spine assuming the outcome.
“But, off course,” was her reply. “Yes you need not come back for it. Pay when you pass this way again, Sir, and welcome!”
I have never forgotten the intense relief and overpowering surprise I felt at such astonishing courtesy in the cheapest of eating houses. I shudder to think of facing a similar situation in an establishment catering to the needy and impoverished in my own city.
Incidents like these, experienced throughout my journey to different places, have invariably gone to show how improper it is to be swayed into judging people, merely guided by passions and prejudices. Hate the sin and not the sinner is a wiser and ancient adage in Indian tradition. And it was far away from home, in Shillong, that I was to learn the value of this wise and simple dictim of Indian wisdom.
Happy Holi… the festival of colours to all of you, stay blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brand New Tourist Spots: 2018

There's a lot to look forward in 2018, and here are some of the coolest attractions  from family theme parks to excellent museums.  ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š Let's check out...... Aerospace Bristol, England Bristol, is the home of Concorde. The supersonic passenger jet was largely developed here, and the UK assembly line was located here and all UK Concordes made their maiden flight from the city’s runway – so the last Concorde ever to be built takes pride of place. In 2017, a new £19 million  state-of-the-art museum  dedicated to Bristol’s airspace heritage opened to the public. Aerospace Bristol Human Tower Museum of Catalonia, Valls, Spain Valls, 65 miles west of Barcelona, is the place of origin of the Catalan tradition of building  castells  – human towers of up to ten stories, with the strongest forming the  pinya , or base. In 2018, the town is set to open a museum dedicated to the 200-year-old feat of strength and teamwork, and nearby Tarragona will host its biannual  human tower

PNB scam: Nirav Modi with love

If sources are to believed, it has been in news that Mr. Nirav Modi has filed petition in the US court and the verdict was that, no banks or institutions, can ask his companies to refund the loans till further notifications. Yea, that's a good news for him and a temporary relief too.  My open letter to you, Sir..... Dear Mr. Nirav Modi You are a busy man, but I hope, you, by this time had managed to see the movie " Ek Tha Tiger ", the blockbuster starring Salman Khan & Katrina Kaif , especially the end part. Huh...it says that Tiger and Joya (respectively the names of the character played by the actors) have been seen in different parts of the world, yet not sure, and intelligence agencies could not trace them. It goes well with you too, Sir. Rumors are there that you are in New York, USA, till today morning there was a fresh assumption that you are in Hong Kong, though all these are not confirmed yet. Wherever you are, stay blessed, yea, I mean it and you to

The Land of High Passes: Ladakh, India

Ladakh  (“land of high passes”) is a region in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir that currently extends from the Kunlun mountain range to the main Great Himalayas to the south, inhabited by people of Indo-Aryan and Tibetan descent.  It is one of the most sparsely populated regions in Jammu and Kashmir and its culture and history are closely related to that of Tibet.  Ladakh is renowned for its remote mountain beauty and culture. Moonlit Nubra Valley Rock carvings found in many parts of Ladakh indicate that the area has been inhabited from Neolithic times. Ladakh’s earliest inhabitants consisted of a mixed Indo-Aryan population of  Mons  and  Dards , who find mention in the works of Herodotus, Nearchus, Megasthenes, Pliny,    Ptolemy, and the geographical lists of the Puranas. Leh city from Strok Around the 1st century, Ladakh was a part of the Kushan Empire. Buddhism spread into western Ladakh from Kashmir in the 2nd century when much of eastern Ladakh and western